Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour 5 Days: Classic Trail
Our 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is a great hike among the mountains, glaciers, tropical forests, thermal baths and coffee plantations, after a great adventure enjoy the dawn at Machu Picchu Inca citadel
Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is a pristine hike to the lost city of the Incas – Machu Picchu. This trek takes you through the shadows of Salkantay and Umantay snow- Mountains; where you can observe glacier valleys, wildlife and mysterious Inca Ruins. The Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is an exceptional trekking route situated in the same region as the Classic Inca Trail, but less trodden and offering more spectacular views. Our Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is not just walk; it is an adventure and cultural experience in the region of Cusco in Peru.
The Salkantay is the region’s highest mountain located to the south of Machu Picchu; is one of the best hills for hiking in Peru. the trail makes way through the high Andean valleys until 3,800m; then change abruptly to high Rocky Mountains and later; in the other site of the pass it changes to Jungle Trail. Most of the walk is along the ridge; offers spectacular mountain views with a bird’s eye view of the Santa Teresa river/valley.
This great Top Salkantay Trek in the Machu Picchu National park is one of the most diverse treks in the world. In this trek you’ll walk the distance of 56 km linking the two deepest canyons of the Vilcabamba range: The Apurimac and Urubamba canyon. the hike offers several ecological zones which allow you to enjoy the peculiar natural highlights.
However, Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour isn’t just perfect for the dramatic views of lofty mountains but is also the best in terms of the diversity in climate altitude (deepest gorge to the high pass – 4,600m), landscape (tropical forest featuring rare species of plants and animals, terminal moraine), trail (steep, narrow, windy and dusty). Some of the major highlights of Top Salkantay Trek are two deep canyons (Aprurimac & Urubamba), Salkantay pass (4,600m), The natural hot springs in the town of Santa Teresa, optional zip line, and one of the most popular Inca building known as the lost city of the Inca – Machu Picchu.
- DURATION: 5-Days/ 4- Nights
- STARTING POINT: Pick up at 5:30 am From the hotel in Cusco.
- ENDING POINT: Drop off in Cusco at the main square around 9:00 pm, If you tell us, in advance, we can drop you at your hotel.
- DEPARTURE: The date that better suit you.
- TOTAL, TREKKING DISTANCE: 60.5 km / 37.5 miles
- MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4650 m / 15228 ft.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: 3-night camp and 1-night hotel.
- MACHU PICCHU: Entrance ticket included
- “Scenic drive from Cusco to Soraypampa Valley with awesome panorama of mountains with view of Salkantay Mt. Within world heritage sites at Machu Picchu National park enriched with lovely Andean forest
- Explore the most picturesque lagoon of Humantay situated in the shortest of Salkantay Mountain.
- Explore traditional farm villages and Mysteries Inca settlements along the trail where our guide will explain you the Inca culture.
- Enchanting pristine forest filled with Andean, tropical and sub-tropical trees.
- Experience the dawn at Machu Picchu and enjoy an informative Tour.
At a glance:
- DAY 1: Explore a beautiful lagoon: Cusco – Mollepata – Shalacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa:
- DAY 2: Top Trekking Day: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Ccollpapampa.
- DAY 3: Beautufull Day: Ccollpapampa – Playa Sahuayaco – Lucmabamba:
- DAY 4: A long day| Lucmabamba –Llactapata – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
- DAY 5. Important day| – Explore Machu Picchu.
Why book with us?
- Stay within reach of select eco-lodges and our exclusive private campsites with stand-up tents, thick mattresses and pillows.
- Enjoy three hearty meals each day freshly prepared by our dedicated kitchen team. Drinking water included in the walk.
- Hike at a good pace led by experienced Tour Guides trained in nature first aid, equipped with a group medical kit and a portable Oxygen bottle.
Why Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu?
- Salkantay Trail is listed as one of the 25 best trekking dstination in the world by National Geographic Adventure Travel magazine.
- Trekking at Salkantay is definitely one of the best trekking adventures you will find in Peru and South American.
- After Classic Inca Trail, Salkantay trek is the second most popular trek to Machu Picchu (and much less crowded).
- Hikers can see natural bridges, snowy mountains, colorful valleys, waterfalls, wildlife, unique plants, and a cloud forest.
- Camping with fewer people allows you to be in control of your own trip and have the best views of these amazing mountains!
A typical day for 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour
You will be woken up with a cup of “Coca tea” (Good for the altitude) in your tent at around 6.30 a.m., followed by a small bowl of warm water to wash. Before breakfast, put your gear in your duffle bag and go to enjoy your breakfast. The duffle bags will be carried by our horses and you won’t have access until it arrives to the next camp. After a healthy breakfast, we’re usually on the trail around 7:30 a.m. Depending on the duration and nature of the day’s walk; We’ll walk for about 6-8 hours, then generally rest for lunch for about one hour where you can fill-up your water bottle. Some of our employees will walk forward and select an appropriate place to stop.
The afternoon walk is usually a bit shorter and the camp is generally arriving between 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Once we get to camp and the kitchen is ready, afternoon tea will be brewed. From there until dinner, it’s time to rest or explore the surroundings. Dinner is generally served between 6:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Don’t forget to bring your flashlight and your water bottles in the dining room tent so they can be filled with boiling water. Trekking the nights give you some of the best memories of your walk, be it talking, playing cards, Chat with the crew or join the song and dance with the locals. A lot of The enjoyment of an expedition is on the journey itself.
Why book this trip?
What will you see along theTop Salkantay Trek?
Video for 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour
This is a difficult question to answer since Peru has a variety of conditions. The best time is the dry season from May to November, and this is usually the period we recommend. But the walks are open all year.
While traveling through the Andes in Peru, some people will experience certain effects. If you plan to hike the Salkantay Trail, we recommend that you arrive 2-3 days before begins to trek to acclimatize; while that you can take day trips to Cusco.
Please, it is very important to fill the blanks in the attached reservation form, we’ll send you an email with true and updated information so that we can make your reservations with the correct and appropriate information
The briefing is very important because that is when you will meet your guide. At this meeting, your guide will provide you with important details about the hike. If you participate in 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour, you will receive a duffle bag for your personal belongings
If you are concerned about the walk, you have the option of hiring an additional horse. The cost is US $ 60.00. You can only ride the second day; from Soraypampa (3800m) to the pass (4,650m) which is the hardest part of the Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour.
Our guides are trained in case of illness. Unfortunately, it is illegal for us to provide you with altitude medicine, but we do our best to help you feel better in other ways. For example, we often make coca tea and the guides carry oxygen bottles with them. If you feel bad, you have the option to return to Cusco and join your group in the town of Aguas Calientes so as not to miss Machu Picchu. However, this will incur significant additional costs. You also have the option of using other means of transportation throughout the trek, such as: cars, horses and trains for a much lower cost.