Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour 5 Days: Classic Trail
Our 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is a great hike among the mountains, glaciers, tropical forests, thermal baths and coffee plantations, after a great adventure enjoy the dawn at Machu Picchu Inca citadel
Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is a pristine hike to the lost city of the Incas – Machu Picchu. This trek takes you through the shadows of Salkantay and Umantay snow- Mountains; where you can observe glacier valleys, wildlife and mysterious Inca Ruins. The Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is an exceptional trekking route situated in the same region as the Classic Inca Trail, but less trodden and offering more spectacular views. Our Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is not just walk; it is an adventure and cultural experience in the region of Cusco in Peru.
The Salkantay is the region’s highest mountain located to the south of Machu Picchu; is one of the best hills for hiking in Peru. the trail makes way through the high Andean valleys until 3,800m; then change abruptly to high Rocky Mountains and later; in the other site of the pass it changes to Jungle Trail. Most of the walk is along the ridge; offers spectacular mountain views with a bird’s eye view of the Santa Teresa river/valley.
This great Top Salkantay Trek in the Machu Picchu National park is one of the most diverse treks in the world. In this trek you’ll walk the distance of 56 km linking the two deepest canyons of the Vilcabamba range: The Apurimac and Urubamba canyon. the hike offers several ecological zones which allow you to enjoy the peculiar natural highlights.
However, Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour isn’t just perfect for the dramatic views of lofty mountains but is also the best in terms of the diversity in climate altitude (deepest gorge to the high pass – 4,600m), landscape (tropical forest featuring rare species of plants and animals, terminal moraine), trail (steep, narrow, windy and dusty). Some of the major highlights of Top Salkantay Trek are two deep canyons (Aprurimac & Urubamba), Salkantay pass (4,600m), The natural hot springs in the town of Santa Teresa, optional zip line, and one of the most popular Inca building known as the lost city of the Inca – Machu Picchu.
- DURATION: 5-Days/ 4- Nights
- STARTING POINT: Pick up at 5:30 am From the hotel in Cusco.
- ENDING POINT: Drop off in Cusco at the main square around 9:00 pm, If you tell us, in advance, we can drop you at your hotel.
- DEPARTURE: The date that better suit you.
- TOTAL, TREKKING DISTANCE: 60.5 km / 37.5 miles
- MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4650 m / 15228 ft.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: 3-night camp and 1-night hotel.
- MACHU PICCHU: Entrance ticket included
- “Scenic drive from Cusco to Soraypampa Valley with awesome panorama of mountains with view of Salkantay Mt. Within world heritage sites at Machu Picchu National park enriched with lovely Andean forest
- Explore the most picturesque lagoon of Humantay situated in the shortest of Salkantay Mountain.
- Explore traditional farm villages and Mysteries Inca settlements along the trail where our guide will explain you the Inca culture.
- Enchanting pristine forest filled with Andean, tropical and sub-tropical trees.
- Experience the dawn at Machu Picchu and enjoy an informative Tour.
At a glance:
- DAY 1: Explore a beautiful lagoon: Cusco – Mollepata – Shalacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa:
- DAY 2: Top Trekking Day: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Ccollpapampa.
- DAY 3: Beautufull Day: Ccollpapampa – Playa Sahuayaco – Lucmabamba:
- DAY 4: A long day| Lucmabamba –Llactapata – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
- DAY 5. Important day| – Explore Machu Picchu.
Why book with us?
- Stay within reach of select eco-lodges and our exclusive private campsites with stand-up tents, thick mattresses and pillows.
- Enjoy three hearty meals each day freshly prepared by our dedicated kitchen team. Drinking water included in the walk.
- Hike at a good pace led by experienced Tour Guides trained in nature first aid, equipped with a group medical kit and a portable Oxygen bottle.
Why Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu?
- Salkantay Trail is listed as one of the 25 best trekking dstination in the world by National Geographic Adventure Travel magazine.
- Trekking at Salkantay is definitely one of the best trekking adventures you will find in Peru and South American.
- After Classic Inca Trail, Salkantay trek is the second most popular trek to Machu Picchu (and much less crowded).
- Hikers can see natural bridges, snowy mountains, colorful valleys, waterfalls, wildlife, unique plants, and a cloud forest.
- Camping with fewer people allows you to be in control of your own trip and have the best views of these amazing mountains!
DAY-BY-DAY TOP SALKANTAY TREK & MACHU PICCHU TOUR 5D/4N
Briefing before Your Trekking to Machu Picchu:
- You will have an in-depth informative talk with your guide one day before your Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour
- Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you can take the opportunity to ask questions and make final preparations.
Day 0: Arrival in Cusco (3,400masl) Transfer to the Hotel:
Welcome! A representative from “Sunrise Peru Trek” will be waiting outside the airport who will transfer you to your hotel. A short briefing will be done after you have settled down. If you have any queries, please do let us know.
DAY 1: Explore a beautiful lagoon: Cusco – Mollepata – Shalacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa:
Our staff will pick you up from the hotel in Cusco at around 5:30 am, then we’ll travel in our private bus for 2:30 hours to the village of “Mollepata” (2800masl); In “Mollepata” there are bathrooms, souvenirs and an optional short breakfast, then we will continue for one more hour to Challacancha, the starting point of the Trekking. As we drive and the sun begins to peek over the mountains, the white and snowy peaks of Apus Salkantay and Humantay, two colossal gods of the Incas, will begin to materialize.
After arriving in Shallacancha, we will meet our support staff. The support staff consists of a chef, a second cook, and riders. Day by day, they will tie all the luggage and equipment to the mules and will pass by us to set up camp and prepare food. Around 10:00 am, we will start the trek to Soraypampa (3850m- 12631ft), here will be served Lunch and here also will be setup the first camp; at the foot of Humantay and Salkantay mountains.
The first section of the trail is relatively flat and winds through a deep glacial valley. Much of the trail follows a restored Inca aqueduct, which still provides water to farmers in the lower valleys. For the next three hours we will travel 4.35 miles (7 km) to Soraypampa, where we will have lunch. After lunch and a short rest, we’ll walk toward the picturesque Humantay Lagoon (4200 masl – 13779 ft). This is a 5 km (3.1 mile) round trip hike, which will take a total of 3 hours. The Lagoon of Humantay is one of the most beautiful places in all the Andes with incredible blue-green water, reflecting the glacier of the Apu Humantay mountain.
- Meals: lunch, dinner.
- Accommodation: Camping
- Maximum altitude: 4200 m
- Minimum altitude: 2850 m altitude
- Distance traveled: approximately 11 km
DAY 2: Top Trekking Day: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Ccollpapampa.
Today we’ll wake up at 5:30 am and prepare your duffle bag; the enjoy your energizing breakfast, by 7:00am we will begin the hike toward the highest point of the entire trail: The top Salkantay Pass (4650 MASL – 15255 FASL). The distance is a 7 km (4.34 miles) difficult 3-hour climb through rocky valley to the beautiful Salkantay Mountain. When we arrive to the pass we will enjoy the spectacular views of the surrounding valleys and the imposing snow-capped peaks of the Salkantay, Humantay, Tucarhuay and Pumasillo mountains. The Mountain of Salkantay (6271m) is the second highest mountain in the region of Cusco and it is considered an important spiritual person of the INCAS called “Apu”.
From the Pass we’ll continue hike down for about 5 km (3.1 mile) to the zone of “Huarocmachay” where our Lunch will be served. The descent is made by a rocky gravel road in the shape of a snake while we walk, there is a perfect view of the valley that is absolutely beautiful. In the afternoon after our great lunch, we will hike through the beginning of the Amazon jungle, also called “the cloud forest”. This is a 10 km (6.2 miles) hike completed in 3 hours on a wide trail through thick and magical rainforest. During this part of the hike, you will notice a dramatic change in the landscape and energy of the Earth as we move from the Andes to the Amazon.
This hike is really beautiful; the hills are decorated with colorful landscapes, wild animals and native plants. The forests are warm and tropical most of the year with temperate climates. At the end of this extraordinary hike, we arrive at the community of Ccollpapampa (2750m – 9022ft) for a well-deserved rest reward from our long trekking day.
- Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner (plus sandwiches and snack)
- Walking distance: 22 km / 13.7 miles
- Starting altitude: 3800m/ 12,467 ft
- Maximum altitude: 4,650m/ 15,255ft
- Difficulty: difficult
- Accommodation: Camping
DAY 3: Beautufull Day: Ccollpapampa – Playa Sahuayaco – Lucmabamba:
Today will be easy day but beautiful. After a good breakfast, we will begin our walk to the small village named “La Playa Sahuayaco”; we’ll hike through the Santa Teresa River/Valley. You will be able to soak up this lush new landscape during our 6-hour hike today! During the walk we will see rivers, waterfalls, wild orchids and coffee, banana and avocado plantations. You will be able to taste the famous passion fruit on the way! This region of Peru is amazing, where you can observe waterfalls, birds, hot springs, fruit trees, as well as flora and fauna. If we are lucky, we might even spot the beautiful bird called “the cook of the Rock” (Gallito de la Rocas), the national bird of Peru! After a hearty lunch in the “Playa Sahuayaco”, we will walk for about 1 hour to our camp called Lucmabamba (2400m- 7874ft).
Around the camp, we will explore the rainforest for a while and visit an organic coffee farm. If you are a coffee lover, this will be especially heavenly for you – you can enjoy fresh coffee from the locals! Otherwise, you can still enjoy the decadent aroma of freshly roasted and ground coffee wafting through the air! Coffee is the main agricultural industry for the locals here in the jungle and they grow many acres of coffee for export to the United States, Asia, and Europe. Coffee was first discovered in Ethiopia, but it wasn’t until the Spanish invaded Cusco that it was introduced to this region. We will also explore an orange grove and an avocado plantation this afternoon.
- Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner (plus sandwiches and snack)
- Walking distance: 19 km / 11.8 miles
- Starting altitude: 2,750m / 9,022 ft
- Camp Altitude – 2,400m/ 7,874ft
- Difficulty: easy – Moderate
- Accommodation: Camping
DAY 4: A long day| Lucmabamba –Llactapata – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
Wake up call at 5:30am with a cup of “Coca tea” served in your tent; then prepare your duffle bag and enjoy your last breakfast prepared by the Trekking chef. At around 7:30am we’ll start hike gentle up to the where you will have the opportunity to see a small part of the ancient Inca Trail. After a 2-hour climb with stunning views over the Santa Teresa River/Valley, we will arrive at the Inca site of Llactapata just in front of Machu Picchu. This will be the first archaeological site we will see of the mysterious lost city of the Incas! It is a very special place to enjoy together and spend time learning a little more about the roots and history of this land. From Here we can see not only the ruins of Machu Picchu, but also Huayna Picchu.
After an informative tour of “Llactapata” we’ll continue our hike for about 2-hour down to “Hidroelectrica”. In this part of the trail you can still see Machu Picchu until we get to the zone of “Hidroelectrica” for lunch. One of the most impressive sights in this region is the 300-meter-high waterfall that generates electricity for the entire Cusco region. After lunch we’ll continue to explore the “Intiwatana”, a famous ancient INCA rock used as a sundial. According to the story, “Intiwatana” worked with the famous sundial stone at the Machu Picchu site where was possible to observe the winter and summer solstices.
From this interesting Inca site, we will arrive at the train tracks that lead to the town of Aguas Calientes. Here you will have two options:
1) If you are exhausted you can take the train to Aguas Calientes (additional $ 34.00).
2) If you still feel like walking, you can walk from
Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes for about 3 hours along the railway line. Next to the slopes, there is a beautiful path that we will cross the warm paradise of the cloud forest.
Note: During the rainy season, walking the Llactapata trail is not 100% guaranteed for safety reasons. When the rains are frequent, this trail becomes very dangerous; so we’ll take the route by Santa Teresa to “Hidroelectrica”.
- All expenses in Aguas Calientes are covered by the company. Includes: breakfast, lunch, dinner and accommodation at the hotel.
- Optional: trip by train from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes ($ 34.00).
- Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Walking distance: 22 km / 13.7 miles
- Initial altitude: 2,450m/ 8,038ft
- Difficulty: Moderate to difficult
- Accommodation: 3-stars hotel
DAY 5. Important day| – Explore Machu Picchu.
The wake up time will be at 4:30am, get your breakfast in the hotel and leave your duffle bag in the storage of the hotel. In between of 5:30am – 6.00am, we will board the bus that will take us to the great energy center of the Incas – “Machu Picchu”. As part of our itinerary, the same professional guide from Scenic Salkantay Trekking & Expedition will teach you the whole history of this mysterious and mystical place. We will visit the Temple of the Sun, the Royal Palace, the Main Temple, the Temple of the Three Windows and the Sundial. It will be an unforgettable experience. After the informative guided tour of Machu Picchu, you will have free time to explore on your own.
- If you have reserved “Huaynapicchu” or “Machupicchu” Mountain you must coordinate with your guide to visit Machu Picchu depending on the time you go to the mountain, for people who do not hike in the mountains there are other optional activities (not included in the price):
After all you’ll return to the town of “Aguas Calientes” where you can enjoy your lunch and rest until the time of train’s departure
Train back to Cusco: In the afternoon you will return from the town of “Aguas Calientes” to “Ollantaytambo” train station. Upon arrival at the train station, you will be transferred by car to your hotel in Cusco.
What is included for 5-Day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour?
In the price are included the following items:
- PRE-DEPARTURE INFORMATION: you will meet your guide in our office to get an orientation before your hike. The guide will see, if you have all necessary things for the trek and If you have some questions or doubts you can clarify here. Here also, we will provide you with one duffle bag per person that our horses will carry it. The meeting will take place at 6:00 p.m. the day before the start of the trip.
- TRANSPORTATION: We will pick you up from your hotel in the morning and travel by private transportation to the zone of Challacancha, the starting point of the trek.
- EXPERIENCED GUIDE: Official English speaking tour guide, professionally trained. Your guide will explain the culture and the surrounding area along the route, even guiding your group through ancient ceremonies! He will keep you safe, healthy and comfortable during your walk so you can enjoy your time worry-free.
- ACCOMMODATION: Two-night camping and one-night hotel in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- CAMPING EQUIPMENT: dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs and kitchen equipment (all carried by horses).
- Entrance to the Salkantay Trail
- Entrance ticket to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu
- BUS TICKETS: Two bus tickets (Up and down) From the town of Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- HOSTEL IN AGUAS CALIENTES: The last night of this trek is spent in a hostel in Aguas Calientes with a double or triple room, private bathroom, hot water shower, wifi, breakfast and luggage storage while visiting Machu Picchu.
- 1 DUFFEL BAG: You can put your personal luggage, up to 7 kg (15.4 lbs), including your sleeping bag, in this bag for our horses to carry.
- PACK MULES: On Day 1 and 2, pack mules carry all camping equipment and their permitted personal luggage (7 kg / 15.4 lbs). On day 3, your luggage will be transported by car or train to your destination.
- TREKKING COOK: with an assistant, will prepare all your delicious meals throughout the trip – You will never be hungry!
- MEALS: 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners (vegetarian, vegan or special menus available at no additional cost)
- TEA TIME: On the first afternoon before dinner, cooks will provide you with popcorn, cookies, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, hot water, etc. After a long day of walking, you won’t have to wait until dinner to relax, warm up and grab a bite!
- SNACKS: Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, candy, etc. We will give you this snack at the beginning of each day in its cloth bag.
- MEDICAL KIT: our team will bring a first aid kit, which includes an emergency oxygen cylinder
- TRAIN TICKETS: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (“Expedition” service with Peru Rail between 15:00 and 18:20). Subject to availability.
- TRANSPORTATION: private transportation from the Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco (day 4th)
- 24-HOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE: We have a 24-hour telephone service to facilitate communication and preparation with the agency that leads your walk.
- We will create for you a memorable experience for a lifetime.
Not included in the price:
- Sleeping bags: (you can rent from our company), our sleeping bags are -18 ° C-comfort (0 ° F), mummy-shaped. They are cleaned after each use.
- Last day: lunch in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid, so feel free to tip or not to tip.
- Additional costs or delays caused by uncontrolled management
EXTRAS: That we can arrange for you
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountai. USD 35 per person
- Walking pole USD 10 For one pair
Important information for 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour
The following information will help you with any questions you may have about this trip
How is this trip?
The 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour is a great alternative trek to Classic Inca Trail and is best suited for more adventurous hikers who can handle higher altitudes and longer distances. The hardest part of the trip is to reach the famous Apacheta Pass at 4650 masl – 15088 fts; but it is not too strenuous, since it is at the beginning of the trek, it is not very steep, but it requires resistance and a time in Cusco to acclimatize to the altitude before starting this trek.
All informational sessions are held in our office at 6.30 p.m. the day before your walk. If you can’t make this time, you should coordinate another time with a member of our office team. The briefings last between 30 and 45 minutes and you will receive your duffel bags.
The duffle bags:
The day before your walk, you will receive a SMALL DUFFLE BAG to pack your clothes for the next days. Its allowed weight is up to 7 kg / 15.4 lbs; this duffle bags will be carried by our horses together with the food and camping equipment. It is important to know that you will NOT have access to your items in the duffle bag until the end of each day as riders and horses will always be ahead of the group. During the trip, you need a day pack large enough to carry your personal items such as a warm jacket, raincoat, camera, sunscreen, snacks, water, etc. Generally, a 30-40-liter backpack is appropriate.
“SPT Tour Operator”, is one of the few companies that picks you up directly from your hotel. While your hotel is in the center of the city of Cusco, we will coordinate this collection according to the time that your guide will discuss during the briefing Time. Collection times can vary from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions and previous collections.
Cusco is an old town with cobbled streets and very narrow passages. Small hotels are often found on streets that cars can’t cross. They are also frequently found on slopes with long and steep climbs, making it difficult to transport luggage. We strongly recommend that you book accommodation with better and easy access.
How to book this trek?
To make a reservation, email us to check availability and receive personalized reservation forms. However, we’ll require the following information:
- Personal information (full name, exactly as in your passport):
- Passport number
- Date of birth (dd / mm / yyyy)
Returning to Cusco:
Leaving Machu Picchu requires a lot of logistics, all of which is included in your visit.
- From Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes, you will take a 25-minute bus to the town. Buses are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and operate throughout the day.
- You will take a train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. Your guide will give you your train tickets with the train schedule. Be sure to get to the platform 30 minutes early.
* The train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo takes 2 hours.
- Once at the station, look for a man with an “SUNRISE PERU TREK” sign or with your name. Then he will take you to the Plaza de San Francisco, Cusco
* The trip by van from Ollantaytambo to the nearby Plaza de San Francisco takes 2 hours
- Once you arrive near the Plaza de San Francisco, you will be separated into separate prepaid taxis and returned to your hotel.
Our trek is managed by a team of professionally trained leaders / guides who are responsible for all aspects of the trek operation. We will do our best to maintain the Trek as the suggested itinerary, but since this is an adventure trip to a remote area of the Andes, we cannot guarantee it! The climatic and health conditions of the member of the trekking team can be a factor for us to change the route. The manager will try to make sure the trip goes accordingly, but be prepared to be flexible when necessary. Please note that flights to and from Cusco are highly dependent on weather conditions and delays may occur. Therefore, we always recommend that you spend an additional one or two nights in Cusco after your Salkantay Trek, which would ensure that there is no impact on your international flight, even if your trip is delayed due to the flight problem. If all goes well according to plan, you can use these days for additional tours in Cusco.
Machu Picchu is full of offers to make it a year-round travel destination. Based on this fact, many international tourists incorporate Machu Picchu into their ideal travel itinerary. For this trek at 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour, in our trek group there will be a trek leader, Cook, Horseman and horses for each group, but we provide a second guide if the group is over 8 persons. In general, in our group, the minimum number of tourists will be two and the maximum group size is ten. We say that 10 people is our maximum for the walk does not mean that we do not operate more than 11 people, we do it on request. However, it is good to keep the group size limit, which means that we can provide the best services and take care of our valued clients while traveling with us.
Hikers who plan to travel to the Andes mostly need three basic elements of preparation: aerobic, strength, and mental. Aerobic conditioning is important especially because you will be hiking in the air, up to 50% less than at sea level. With good aerobic conditioning, you can minimize the possible effects of the disease. high altitude mountains (AMS). Walking for at least two hours a day with a little weight on your back is the best way to prepare for trekking in the Andes. Running, biking (outdoors or stationary), Nordic walking, rock climbing, or any other exercise that puts your heart rate in the aerobic range for extended periods of time. Every day you will walk through the for approximately 6-8 hours and will reach the highest point at 4650m. Health is therefore an essential part of your adventure trip. Before booking a trip with us, we suggest that you consult your doctor and, in his references, proceed to book your trip.
Our leaders and Trekking staff:
The role of your Trek Leader is to ensure that all aspects of the journey go smoothly. He will share his local knowledge, advice on how to fill his free time, and coordinate the daily flow of the tour, although sometimes he may need your understanding if things don’t go as planned. If you have any problems during the visit, please inform your Trek Leader so that steps can be taken to correct it. We are a well stabilized adventure company and we have hired a professional trekking leader. We also provide training to our staff increasing their efficiency at work. And our guides are intimately familiar with all the local breeds and customs along the trails and will share with you a wealth of cultural knowledge that is not covered in any guide. You will have a good opportunity to learn, cultural things and more on your walk.
To be properly protected in terms of insurance, you will need specialized travel insurance to participate in dangerous activities. A travel insurance policy that covers evacuation, trip cancellation, personal injury, death, loss of luggage, theft, liability, medical treatment and expenses is highly recommended. Make sure the insurance covers all the activities you will do during your stay in Peru.
Permits and fees:
In Peru, most need permits and fees to enter some areas, such as World Heritage Sites, National Park, Restricted areas like Salkantay Trail and Machu Picchu. All travel prices include the cost of the relevant permits and entrance fees. In case of such conditions, we will inform you if necessary of the additional permit fees before making a reservation with us.
Meals and accommodation:
During the Salkantay Trek, we provide good quality food in sufficient quantity. We offer all full board meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea and coffee. When hiking 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour, accommodation is one night in camping tent and one night in hotel in the in town of Aguas Calientes with very comfortable facilities.
What to bring for the Trek?
We recommend the following items:
- Original Passport
- Small Backpack (30lts) to carry water, snacks, camera, sunscreen, valuables, jacket, etc.
- Sleeping bag of at least 5 cº. If you DO NOT have one, you can rent us for $ 10.
- Wool hat
- Sun hat
- 2-3 shirts, if you have better long sleeves
- layers (sweater, fleece)
- 2 pairs of long pants if you have leggings, you can make it over leggings
- Mountain boots
- 2-3 pairs of wool socks
- A rain jacket (pants, jacket, if you don’t have one you can buy a rain poncho) this is crucial especially for the rainy season.
- A small towel
- A little lighthouse.
- Water bottle.
- Toothbrush and other toiletries.
- Toilet paper.
- Sandals and flip flops.
- If you have thermal clothing, you can take it with you, which is not so important, you will wear it at least during the first night, which is 4000 m.
- Certain snacks like chocolate, granola bars, candy, nuts, energy bars, etc.
- Extra money in soles (300)
- Remember that we provide you with a duffel bag so that you can pack 7 kilos of luggage that will be transported by horses. You will receive the duffle bag the day before the walk, the day of the briefing.
To inquire about the availability for 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour, contact us to email@example.com and we will send you detailed information, prices, terms and conditions.
Please note that there are available discounts for groups. All our tours are fully guaranteed, departure every day. Contact us for more information of the tour you choose or to start customizing your own itinerary.
“SPT Tour Operator”, is an authorized travel agency located in the city of Cusco (Local tour operator); we really know what we do and offer, we are well managed with long list of travel destinations, offering all Peru travel alternatives, family trips, honeymoon and luxury trips, including adventure trips and jungle exploration trips, for almost any budget.
NOTE: “SPT Tour Operator”, specializes in organizing the perfect travel plan for Peru, with the hotels and destinations you choose, since we all have promotional and confidential rates. Find out how to organize your personalized package. Please write to us.
A typical day for 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour
You will be woken up with a cup of “Coca tea” (Good for the altitude) in your tent at around 6.30 a.m., followed by a small bowl of warm water to wash. Before breakfast, put your gear in your duffle bag and go to enjoy your breakfast. The duffle bags will be carried by our horses and you won’t have access until it arrives to the next camp. After a healthy breakfast, we’re usually on the trail around 7:30 a.m. Depending on the duration and nature of the day’s walk; We’ll walk for about 6-8 hours, then generally rest for lunch for about one hour where you can fill-up your water bottle. Some of our employees will walk forward and select an appropriate place to stop.
The afternoon walk is usually a bit shorter and the camp is generally arriving between 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Once we get to camp and the kitchen is ready, afternoon tea will be brewed. From there until dinner, it’s time to rest or explore the surroundings. Dinner is generally served between 6:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Don’t forget to bring your flashlight and your water bottles in the dining room tent so they can be filled with boiling water. Trekking the nights give you some of the best memories of your walk, be it talking, playing cards, Chat with the crew or join the song and dance with the locals. A lot of The enjoyment of an expedition is on the journey itself.
Why book this trip?
What will you see along theTop Salkantay Trek?
Video for 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour
This is a difficult question to answer since Peru has a variety of conditions. The best time is the dry season from May to November, and this is usually the period we recommend. But the walks are open all year.
While traveling through the Andes in Peru, some people will experience certain effects. If you plan to hike the Salkantay Trail, we recommend that you arrive 2-3 days before begins to trek to acclimatize; while that you can take day trips to Cusco.
Please, it is very important to fill the blanks in the attached reservation form, we’ll send you an email with true and updated information so that we can make your reservations with the correct and appropriate information
The briefing is very important because that is when you will meet your guide. At this meeting, your guide will provide you with important details about the hike. If you participate in 5-day Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour, you will receive a duffle bag for your personal belongings
If you are concerned about the walk, you have the option of hiring an additional horse. The cost is US $ 60.00. You can only ride the second day; from Soraypampa (3800m) to the pass (4,650m) which is the hardest part of the Top Salkantay Trek & Machu Picchu Tour.
Our guides are trained in case of illness. Unfortunately, it is illegal for us to provide you with altitude medicine, but we do our best to help you feel better in other ways. For example, we often make coca tea and the guides carry oxygen bottles with them. If you feel bad, you have the option to return to Cusco and join your group in the town of Aguas Calientes so as not to miss Machu Picchu. However, this will incur significant additional costs. You also have the option of using other means of transportation throughout the trek, such as: cars, horses and trains for a much lower cost.