DAY-BY-DAY ITIENRARY FOR SHORT SALKANTAY TREK 2D/1N
Briefing before Your Trekking to Salkantay
- You will have an in-depth informative talk with your guide 1 or 2 days before your Shor Salkantay Trek.
- Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you can take the opportunity to ask questions and make final preparations.
Day 0: Arrival in Cusco (3,400masl) Transfer to the Hotel:
Welcome! A representative from “Sunrise Peru Trek” will be waiting outside the airport who will transfer you to your hotel. A short briefing will be done after you have settled down. If you have any queries, please do let us know.
DAY 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa (Explore Humantay Lagoon) – Suyruqhocha:
The 2-Day Short Salkantay Trek begins when our staff pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 5:30am, then we’ll drive you in our private van for 3.5 hours to the zone of Soraypampa (3800). Along the way, you will pass through two picturesque indigenous towns called Iscuchaca and Limatambo. In addition, you will have spectacular views of impressive valleys and the famous snow-capped mountain of Salkantay. We also will stop in the village of Mollepata for a short breakfast and purchase some items for the trek. At the Soraypampa, the trailhead, we enjoy refreshments while taking in exciting views of the Humantay (5,900m/19,356ft) and Salkantay (6,217m/20,396ft) glaciers. Putting on our hiking boots, we hike for 1:30 hours to the lagoon of Humantay enjoying the stunning views that surround us.
The trail is step-up with a zigzagging trail and crossing several times a small stream. Arriving at Humantay, we take some time to explore the lake and enjoy its beauty. After the time at Lake Humantay, we return to Soraypampa, then hike 2-hours to the zone of salkantaypampa where you’ll be amazed with splendid views; from here we’ll continue another 1.30 hours a zigzag trail until our campsite at Suyroccocha (4100m). Your tents will already be set up and ready for you. We enjoyed hot drinks and snacks before dinner. This campsite cam be change with Salkantay Pampa camp due to the weather condition or the evolution of the group.
• Meals included: Lunch, snack, dinner
• Accommodation: Camping facilities
• Distance: 10 km/6 miles
• Walking time: about 6 hours
• Difficulty: Moderate
Day 2: Suyroccocha – Salkantay Pass – Glacial Lake – Cusco
Wake-up very early. After a hearty breakfast, prepare your duffel bag for the horses and start the climb a moderate ascent on your second day of hiking. From the camp will take us one hour to reach the reach the highest point of the trek (4,650m/15,367ft). From there, we relax and admire nature in its most impressive form, marveling at the snow-capped mountains of Salkantay (6,217 m / 20,717 ft), Humantay and Huayanay. You will also appreciate the glacial rivers, white with minerals and the small picturesque lakes.
After we rest and take enough pictures, we’ll continue off the main trail for half hour to enjoy the panoramic and truly exquisite turquoise lagoon of Salkantay. After all we’ll return through the same way until we arrive at Soraypampa the beginning of the trail, where we’ll have lunch. Take a few more photos of the magnificent mountains before driving our van back to Cusco, arriving at your hotel around 7:00pm.
• Meals included: breakfast, lunch
• Distance: 12 km/7 miles
• Walking time: about 7 hours
• Difficulty: Challenge
What is included for 2-Day Short Salkantay Trek?
In the price are included the following items:
- PRE-DEPARTURE INFORMATION: you will meet your guide in our office to get an orientation before your hike. The guide will see, if you have all necessary things for the trek and If you have some questions or doubts you can clarify here. Here also, we will provide you with one duffle bag per person that our horses will carry it. The meeting will take place at 6:00 p.m. the day before the start of the trip in your hotel in Cusco.
- TRANSPORTATION: We will pick you up from your hotel in the morning and travel by private transportation to the zone of Soraypampa, the starting point of the trek. And return to Cusco in the same car.
- EXPERIENCED GUIDE: Official English speaking tour guide, professionally trained. Your guide will explain the culture and the surrounding area along the route, even guiding your group through ancient ceremonies! He will keep you safe, healthy and comfortable during your walk so you can enjoy your time worry-free.
- ACCOMMODATION: One-night camping .
- CAMPING EQUIPMENT: Comfortable tents with two people in a four-person capacity tent. Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs and kitchen equipment (all carried by horses).
- Entrance to the Salkantay Trail
- 1 DUFFEL BAG:You can put your personal things, up to 7 kg (15.4 lbs), including your sleeping bag, this bag will be transported by horses; please don’t put in there fragile things.
- PACK MULES: Horses or mules will carry all camping equipment and it is included your duffle bag with (7 kg / 15.4 lbs).
- TREKKING COOK: He will prepare all your delicious meals throughout the trip – You will never be hungry!
- MEALS: 1 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinners (vegetarian, vegan or special menus available at no additional cost).
- Boiled water for drinking and washing purposes
- TEA TIME: On the first afternoon before dinner, cooks will provide you with popcorn, cookies, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, hot water, etc. After a long day of walking, you won’t have to wait until dinner to relax, warm up and grab a bite!
- SNACKS: Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, candy, etc. We will give you this snack at the beginning of each day in its cloth bag.
- MEDICAL KIT: our team will bring a first aid kit, which includes an emergency oxygen if necesary.
- 24-HOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE: We have a 24-hour telephone service to facilitate communication and preparation with the agency that leads your walk.
- We will create for you a memorable experience for a lifetime.
Not included in the price:
- Sleeping bags: (you can rent from our company), our sleeping bags are -18 ° C-comfort (0 ° F), mummy-shaped. They are cleaned after each use.
- Last day: Dinner in Cusco
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid, so feel free to tip or not to tip.
- Additional costs or delays caused by uncontrolled management
EXTRAS: That we can arrange for you
- Walking pole USD 10For one pair
- Horse for ride US$ 30
What to bring for the Trek?
We recommend the following items:
- Original Passport
- Small Backpack (30lts) to carry water, snacks, camera, sunscreen, valuables, jacket, etc.
- Sleeping bag of at least 5 cº. If you DO NOT have one, you can rent us for $ 10.
- Wool hat
- Sun hat
- 2-3 shirts, if you have better long sleeves
- layers (sweater, fleece)
- 2 pairs of long pants if you have leggings, you can make it over leggings
- Mountain boots
- 2-3 pairs of wool socks
- A rain jacket (pants, jacket, if you don’t have one you can buy a rain poncho) this is crucial especially for the rainy season.
- A small towel
- A little lighthouse.
- Water bottle.
- Toothbrush and other toiletries.
- Toilet paper.
- Sandals and flip flops.
- If you have thermal clothing, you can take it with you, which is not so important, you will wear it at least during the first night, which is 4000 m.
- Certain snacks like chocolate, granola bars, candy, nuts, energy bars, etc.
- Extra money in soles (300)
- Remember that we provide you with a duffel bag so that you can pack 7 kilos of luggage that will be transported by horses. You will receive the duffle bag the day before the walk, the day of the briefing.
Important information for 2-day Short Salkantay Trek
The following information will help you with any questions you may have about this Trek.
How is the Short Salkantay Trek?
The 2-Day Short Salkantay Trek is a great alternative for people interested in different and authentic views; it is best suited for more adventurous hikers who can handle higher altitudes and average distances. The hardest part of the trip is to reach the famous Apacheta Pass at 4650 masl – 15088 fts; but it is not too strenuous, since it is at the beginning of the trek, it is not very steep, but it requires resistance and a time in Cusco to acclimatize to the altitude before starting the short Salkantay Trek.
All informational sessions are held in our office at 6.30 p.m. the day before your walk. If you can’t make this time, you should coordinate another time with a member of our office team. The briefings last between 30 and 45 minutes and you will receive your duffel bags.
The duffle bags:
The day before your Short Salkantay Trek, you will receive a SMALL DUFFLE BAG to pack your clothes for the next days. Its allowed weight is up to 7 kg / 15.4 lbs; this duffle bags will be carried by our horses together with the food and camping equipment. It is important to know that you will NOT have access to your items in the duffle bag until the end of the day as riders and horses will always be ahead of the group. During the trip, you need a day pack large enough to carry your personal items such as a warm jacket, raincoat, camera, sunscreen, snacks, water, etc. Generally, a 30-40-liter backpack is appropriate.
“SPT Tour Operator”, is one of the few companies that picks you up directly from your hotel. While your hotel is in the center of the city of Cusco, we will coordinate this collection according to the time that your guide will discuss during the briefing Time. Collection times can vary from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions and previous collections.
Cusco is an old town with cobbled streets and very narrow passages. Small hotels are often found on streets that cars can’t cross. They are also frequently found on slopes with long and steep climbs, making it difficult to transport luggage. We strongly recommend that you book accommodation with better and easy access.
How to book Short Salkantay Trek?
To make a reservation, email us to check availability and receive personalized reservation forms. However, we’ll require the following information:
• Personal information (full name, exactly as in your passport):
• Passport number
• Date of birth (dd / mm / yyyy)
Our trek is managed by a team of professionally trained leaders / guides who are responsible for all aspects of the trek operation. We will do our best to maintain the Trek as the suggested itinerary, but since this is an adventure trip to a remote area of the Andes, we cannot guarantee it! The climatic and health conditions of the member of the trekking team can be a factor for us to change the route. The manager will try to make sure the trip goes accordingly, but be prepared to be flexible when necessary.
Please note that flights to and from Cusco are highly dependent on weather conditions and delays may occur. Therefore, we always recommend that you spend an additional one or two nights in Cusco after your Salkantay Trek, which would ensure that there is no impact on your international flight, even if your trip is delayed due to the flight problem. If all goes well according to plan, you can use these days for additional tours in Cusco.
In our trekking group there will be a trek leader, Cook, Horseman and horses for each group, but we provide a second guide if the group is over 8 persons. In general, in our group, the minimum number of tourists will be two and the maximum group size is ten. We say that 10 people is our maximum for the walk does not mean that we do not operate more than 11 people, we do it on request. However, it is good to keep the group size limit, which means that we can provide the best services and take care of our valued clients while traveling with us.
Hikers who plan to travel to the Andes mostly need three basic elements of preparation: aerobic, strength, and mental. Aerobic conditioning is important especially because you will be hiking in the air, up to 50% less than at sea level. With good aerobic conditioning, you can minimize the possible effects of the disease. high altitude mountains (AMS). Walking for at least two hours a day with a little weight on your back is the best way to prepare for trekking in the Andes. Running, biking (outdoors or stationary), Nordic walking, rock climbing, or any other exercise that puts your heart rate in the aerobic range for extended periods of time. Every day you will walk through the for approximately 6-8 hours and will reach the highest point at 4650m. Health is therefore an essential part of your adventure trip. Before booking a trip with us, we suggest that you consult your doctor and, in his references, proceed to book your trip.
Our leaders and Trekking staff:
The role of your Trek Leader is to ensure that all aspects of the journey go smoothly. He will share his local knowledge, advice on how to fill his free time, and coordinate the daily flow of the tour, although sometimes he may need your understanding if things don’t go as planned. If you have any problems during the visit, please inform your Trek Leader so that steps can be taken to correct it. We are a well stabilized adventure company and we have hired a professional trekking leader. We also provide training to our staff increasing their efficiency at work. And our guides are intimately familiar with all the local breeds and customs along the trails and will share with you a wealth of cultural knowledge that is not covered in any guide. You will have a good opportunity to learn, cultural things and more on your walk.
To be properly protected in terms of insurance, you will need specialized travel insurance to participate in dangerous activities. A travel insurance policy that covers evacuation, trip cancellation, personal injury, death, loss of luggage, theft, liability, medical treatment and expenses is highly recommended. Make sure the insurance covers all the activities you will do during your stay in Peru.
Permits and fees:
In Peru, most need permits and fees to enter some areas, such as World Heritage Sites, National Park, Restricted areas like Salkantay Trail. All travel prices include the cost of the relevant permits and entrance fees. In case of such conditions, we will inform you, if necessary, of the additional permit fees before making a reservation with us.
Meals and accommodation:
During the 2-day Short Salkantay Trek, we provide good quality food in sufficient quantity. We offer all full board meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea and coffee. The accommodation is one night in camping tent.
To inquire about the availability for 2-Day Short Salkantay Trek, contact us to email@example.com and we will send you detailed information, prices, terms and conditions.
Please note that there are available discounts for groups. All our tours are fully guaranteed, departure every day. Contact us for more information of the tour you choose or to start customizing your own itinerary.
«SPT Travel & Tours”, is an authorized travel agency located in the city of Cusco (Local tour operator); we really know what we do and offer, we are well managed with long list of travel destinations, offering all Peru travel alternatives, family trips, honeymoon and luxury trips, including adventure trips and jungle exploration trips, for almost any budget.
NOTE: «SPT Travel & Tours”, specializes in organizing the perfect travel plan for Peru, with the hotels and destinations you choose, since we all have promotional and confidential rates. Find out how to organize your personalized package. Please write to us.