You don know which Trail to Hike in Peru? – here you’ll find good information about the betas and most popular treks in Peru: Salkantay trek and Inca Trail
Peru is situated in the southwest of South America; It is a popular country with hikers from all over the world, and it is not surprising to see the fantastic options they have, one of the most famous in the world is the, however the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is also becoming a popular trekking destination.
In this article, we explore both, giving you an overview of each and looking at the strengths of each to help you decide which one you prefer to walk on. Then let’s get started.
Presentation of the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
The Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu has become the best alternative to the Classic Inca Trail. It is a true adventure that also gives you some of the most incredible scenery you will ever see. You will descend from the snowy peaks into the hot Tropical region.
Along this route, you can see many different animals, from alpacas to exotic jungle breeds, as well as exotic flora. You will also pass through some small communities and see how people live in rural areas.
The highest point of the trek is 4,650 m above sea level, so you must be well prepared for the altitude and spend a few days in Cusco before leaving. The classic and more recommended trail lasts 5 days and 4 nights.
Why choose Salkantay Trek?
There are so many reasons to choose this fantastic route, which is why we have compiled a list to help you decide if it is the right one for you.
- No permit required (For now). This means that the walk is “always available” so to speak and you don’t have to worry about available spots. Of course, you will need to verify that the tour operator has seats available.
- Incredible landscapes. Many say it is the most scenic drive in the area, and they are right. You will be able to experience fantastic views and also travel through a variety of climates, from cold, snowy mountainous regions to humid jungle.
- Humantay Lagoon. In recent years, this beautiful lake has become part of many wish lists. You can choose to visit it on a day trip, but if you opt for the 5-day Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu, you will visit it on the first day.
- More amenities. On the Salkantay trek, you will have access to restrooms along the way and spend the last night in a hotel in Aguas Calientes, which means you can shower and clean yourself before ascending to Machu Picchu.
- Fewer tourists. The trail becomes more and more popular every year, but that doesn’t mean it’s as busy as the Classic Inca Trail. You will be able to enjoy moments of peace and tranquility throughout your journey.
- Horses. If you find things really difficult on the way to Humantay Lake or The Salkantay Pass, you can choose to rent a horse and ride it. You just have to know that they won’t take you the other way.
- The Price. This route is much cheaper than the Inca Trail because it is not necessary to buy a permit. This makes it more accessible to everyone.
Presentation of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
The Inca Trail is one of the most famous Trekking routes in the world and it is no wonder why. Combine a historical adventure visiting ancient ruins with the feeling of walking the same trails as the Incas. These trails linked the Inca Empire 500 years ago.
You will go up and down many steps, stopping at various places along the way. All the time you are surrounded by the beautiful Andes and spectacular wildlife as you venture out with 3 nights of camping.
The ups and downs can affect your legs as well as the altitude, so make sure you are well prepared. The classic Inca Trail lasts 4 days.
Why choose the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?
There is no doubt that this is a great option for many hikers coming to Peru, but if you haven’t made up your mind yet, take a look at our reasons why you should hike the Inca Trail.
- Walk on ancient trails. The name is the Inca Trail because you are literally walking the paths of our ancestors. It’s a special feeling to know that and it takes you back in time to a time when you can imagine what this ancient civilization was like.
- One of the best walks in the world. The Inca Trail has won numerous awards, making it one of the most sought-after routes. It is exciting to know that you are traveling such a famous trail.
- Inca ruins. If you are a history buff, this hike is for you. You will visit many sites along the way that you can only see on this route. It is an excellent description of this ancient culture. You will learn a lot from your guide about life back then and you can imagine yourself by looking at the sites.
- Back to the origins. If you like brutality and feel one with nature for a few days, this is a great option. There are no real baths or towns to blow up on the trail.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu. This is the ONLY hike where you can enter Machu Picchu from Puerta del Sol instead of the main entrance. It really is a once in a lifetime experience.
- Difficulty. The Inca Trail is a little less difficult than the Salkantay Trek. This means that it is a bit easier for those who don’t want anything so strenuous. However, that doesn’t mean it’s just a ride.
SALKANTAY TREKKING VS INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU
So now you know a little more about both hikes and the benefits of choosing one or the other. While we cannot say that one is superior to the other, we can guarantee that you will have a great time, no matter which one you prefer.
If you like to do some of the most famous treks in the world and you like to know more about the history of a place, then we tell you to opt for the Inca Trail. If you prefer a quieter route with fantastic landscapes and without spending too much, we recommend the Salkantay Trek.
Keep in mind that both routes offer impressive landscapes and lessons to learn about the surroundings and the history of the Incas, it’s just that the two offer more in different ways. We wish you the best with what you choose and we know it will bring home some incredible memories to cherish for the rest of your life.
Either trails you take, we highly recommended you to here an authorized Tour operator like “Sunrise Peru trek”; the company will organize all necessary things for a memorable experience.